Dayton 2005 motorcycle trip

After basking in the afterglow from our Asheville bike trip for a month or so we decided to go on a 2-day trip to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. John, Kyle, and I would be going. No girls, minimal luggage, one motel room...truly a manly bike trip. We decided to go on August 5-6.

On the motorcycle front, I had put on a new set of handlebars and grips. This trip would be a good break-in for both.

August 5

Bedford, IN. 6:00 am, initial mileage is 10,927 - We met at the Bob Evan's restaurant early. The sky was overcast and the threat of rain was predicted. John and Kyle finished their cigarettes and we were off on our adventure.

South of Indianapolis, IN. 7:11, mileage 10,986 - Our first stop for fuel. The temperature was in the low 80's and the sky was overcast. Perfect riding weather. Our goal is to avoid the Indy work traffic and the Brickyard 400 associated traffic.

The trip around Indy was uneventful. As we approached Greenfield the sky was darkening in the east and we saw occasional flashes of lightening. We stopped at the Greenfield rest area and donned our jackets. It was a good thing, as a few miles down the road it started to rain.

Richmond, IN. 9:04, mileage 11,069 - The rain stopped briefly as we stopped for fuel. Once we were back on the road we got into more rain. The rain would continue nearly all the way to Dayton.

We rolled into Dayton at 10:47 (Ohio time). No rain to speak of, just a few light sprinkles. We stopped at Walmart to pick up some dry clothes. Here is a picture of my wet pants. In this picture the puddle of water Kyle is standing in is water he squeezed out of his shoes. I also bought some super glue. My new grips had arrived without glue and the glue I'd used wasn't working. I hoped the super glue would do a better job. (It didn't). Our motel room at the TravelLodge wouldn't be ready until after noon so we decided to go to the Air Force Museum.

We arrived at the Air Force Museum and found they had motorcycle parking right up front. Sweet! We sat in the parking lot and changed into warm socks. John and Kyle smoked a couple well-deserved cigarettes and we went into the museum.

There is no admission to the Air Force Museum. It is open 365 days a year with the exception of a few holidays. I hadn't been here in 20 years and it's changed a lot. They used to have one hanger full of displays. Now they have three, as well as another building containing missiles and rockets. They have two more hangers on base containing presidential aircraft and aircraft used in research. You have to sign up for the tour to go there. They also have an IMAX theater.

There was an IMAX movie ("Fighter Pilot") starting in about 20 minutes so we decided to watch it. After the movie we went to the cafeteria for lunch. We had dried out quite a bit by now. We walked through the World War I portion of the first hanger and checked out the planes in the second hanger. By then it was nearing 5:00 pm and time to go.

We drove to the motel, checked in, then sat around the room for awhile to relax. We decided to have supper and thought steak sounded like the ticket. The girl at the desk gave us directions to where several steak houses were located. It was several miles away on the other side of town and a nice bike ride. We dined at Lonestar and feasted on excellent prime rib. We stopped for gas and pop. The ride back to the motel was even better with full stomachs. We slept soundly.

August 6

We got up early, packed our things, ate breakfast at Waffle House, and headed to the museum. About a half mile before we got to the museum fate stepped in...rain. It wasn't bad. We were just a little damp.

Our first stop at the museum was our favorite...the World War II displays. We spent about 3 hours in there. Next we boarded the bus for our tour of the presidential and R&D planes. This took a couple more hours. We took a smoke break, a snack break, another smoke break, then went to the 'Heroes of Aviation' and 'Cold War' displays.

Before we knew it it was after 4:00. We still hadn't finished the Cold War displays or been to the missile part or the outdoor displays...those would have to wait until next time. We went to the gift shop so Kyle could decide on a leather jacket purchase he had been pondering. He bought it. By now it was time to go so a few more cigarettes were smoked and we saddled up.

Dayton, OH. 17:05, mileage 11,169 - We left the Air Force Museum and headed towards I-70. It was partly cloudy and in the low 80's. There would be no rain on us on the trip home.

Richmond, IN. 16:56 (back on Indiana time), mileage 11,220 - We got gas and discussed the Dodge Charger painted like the General Lee that had passed us.

South of Indianapolis, IN. 18:37, mileage 11,309 - We fed our bikes then ourselves at a Steak 'n' Shake.

It was dark by the time we got back to Lawrence County. The trip was great. A relatively short ride. The Air Force Museum is cool. Good stories to tell. It'll be nice to sleep in my own bed tonight. We've decided we'll have to make more short trips. Stay tuned!

See You on the Highway

Other trips

E-mail me